This week on Instagram I shared an array of “challenges” I’m attempting this month. I followed up one of the slides with a glib comment about “gamify-ing” life, but that’s a pretty accurate descriptions that gets at my true intentions.
- No-Spend February (it’s more like a low spend)
- 6,000 steps each day of February
- Year of Intentional Spending (only 10 new clothing items this year)
Participating in these “life games” is not in the vain of self-improvement. At least not in the self-help, bigger, better, best sentiment. Instead, the outcome i’m looking for is more along the lines of personal entertainment. Just like any other game you play, I decide I want to play, review the rules, and then jump in. At the end of the predetermined time boundaries, the game goes back on the shelf until next time. Sure, there can be secondary benefits (more cash in my bank account, a fitter body, etc.) as well rollover benefits that could help create new habits, but that’s not my driving force. I just want something to make the day to day more interesting, and often it does just that by slightly altering how the day pans out. (Example: more time that month cooking at home because i’m not eating fast food. Or part of my day is dedicated to a walk to get me closer to that 6k goal)
If there was a self improvement benefit to get out of this, I’d hope it would be mindfulness. That the act of playing these “games” requires me to slow down. To think of another way. Not act on impulse. It paces life in a way that is different than normal.
Other Games to Play
- Sleep with your phone in a different room for a month
- Go outside everyday for a predetermined set of time
- Make X amount of meals at home
- Journal everyday
- No online purchases for a month
- Call a friend everyday
- 75 Hard (whew)
- Make a new recipe once a week
Engaging in these games help keep life fresh and new. If you too want to gamify life, make it something that you would actually engage with, and remember you’re in charge, you get to make the rules!
What is Saving My Life
- My orchid is blooming!!
- Work is busy but has been keeping me occupied which is good
- Olympic Trials Marathon Youtube Content
- The Costco trip I have planned for Saturday
- Elmo & Sesame Street emotionally checking in with the world