Hey there, welcome back! If you haven’t already read the intro to this fitness series, check it out here. Yes, we could just jump right into info on workout routines, and nutrition tips, but I think it is important to identify your goals beforehand, because your goals should match the method you take to get there.
- Thank the person that nominated you and leave a link to their blog
- Post about the award
- Share 7 facts about yourself
- Nominate at most 15 people
- Tell your nominees the good news!
- I have dreams of owning a farm and tending to a large garden, but my new diagnosis of severe allergies to basically everything outside is kinda sidetracking that plan.
- I really enjoy cooking. I’m not that great yet, but I love the steps and process that it requires. You start with a bunch of random stuff and it all comes together to make a meal. I think its just so beautiful.
- I’ve never been out of the country. It has just never happened. Vacations as a child were usually centered about AAU basketball schedules and the opportunity never came about. While I have the desire to travel abroad, there are also so many places in the US I want to visit as well.
- I have lived in four different states, and soon I’ll be moving again!
- Clothes > Make-up, Clothes > Shoes
- I went to a private Christian school until I moved to Texas in 5th grade. I follow a lot of my old classmates and past teachers on social media and it’s so wild to see what path everyone is on. (The teachers are v v v conservative, but all my old classmates seem v v v rad)
- I played a lot of competitive basketball growing up and now I have no desire to ever watch a game ever again. I just can’t watch it without dissecting every move so it is just not good entertainment for me.
- Narrator Voice: The narration was down by Lauren Graham herself which I really enjoyed. She was easy to listen to and since it was a biography of sorts it added to the overall story.
- Story/Content: I love Lauren Graham mostly for her characters on Gilmore Girls and Parenthood. This book of hers gave a look at how she got into the industry, the jobs she had before she “made it,” insider tips about life in Hollywood, her love life, and of course the back stage look at the Gilmore Girls Revival!
- Length: 4hrs 38min
- Overall Enjoyment: I loved it! The book was very light hearted and Lauren Graham seems to have such a down to earth personality for a celebrity like herself. The book is witty and filled with humor that reminded me of her Gilmore Girls character, Lorelai. 9/10 recommend!
- Narrator Voice: This is a fiction book, therefore each character has a different narrator, or at least they all sound slightly different. The book is set in London, so they do all have a British accent. I honestly had a hard time distinguishing some of the characters, but they may also be because the book switches point of view after each chapter.
- Story/Content: The book is about a woman who rides the train into the city every day and looks out onto the neighborhood where she used to live with her ex-husband. She watches a neighboring couple on her old street which she creates names and personalities for. The book continues about her life and her struggle in dealing with her husbands affair which led to her divorce, and all culminates around a mysterious murder of woman on that street, the same woman she created fantasies about each time she passed their house on the train.
- Length: 10hrs 59min
- Overall Enjoyment: Everyone that has recommended Audible to me, said I should definitely try this book, but I was not really impressed. The story drags at times, I didn’t think any of the plot twists were that surprising or innovative, so overall it was just okay. I think part of it had to do with the monotony and/or the annoyance of their voices. 6.5/10 recommend!
- Glossier Products: I’ve never bought or even tried anything from Glossier but I keep seeing it come up on various social media feeds and I’m very intrigued by their marketing/branding. They have lip glosses, body butters, face masks, nail polish, and more. I’m looking to try the _Super Pack which is a collection of face serums that either add bounce, help with breakouts, or add a glow!
- Skin Food Products: Skin Food by AB is an Etsy store and the one product I have tried so far is great! About 6 months ago I gave up body wash that came in a plastic bottle and switched to bar soaps. One, its good for the environment. Two, trying new bar soap is so fun and so inexpensive! I was on the look for a soap specifically for my face and found the Organic Charcoal Soap from Skin Food. It is designed to help with acne, cleanse, and balance skin tone. I love love love it! It really calms my skin and helps with redness and irritation.
- Lululemon: Yeah, so maybe ALL of your Christmas cash would have to go to this one but I couldn’t leave it off the list. I personally want some high waisted tights but am waiting for a pair I like to make it to the sale rack. Always remember there is a “We Made Too Much Section” AKA CLEARANCE!
- Flare Jeans: Y’all I swear they are
back …coming back in style! Just wait, you’ll see. They are perfect to wear with all your winter booties. I’m looking at this pair at Target for only $25!
- Boho Betty Jewelry: Jewelry is always something I forget about. I don’t buy much of it on my own and I often forget to even put it on. So if you’re like me, this is your reminder that jewelry is cool too. Check out some of the pieces from Boho Betty, and get 10% off with the coupon code “lysseonlife.” My favorites are: The Moselle Bracelet, The Beaded Tassel Necklace, and the Wanderlust Tassel Bracelet.
- Journaling Bible: I feel like these Bibles have been all the rage lately. I know some people wouldn’t dare write in their Bible, and I know some people …like me who feel like it is oh so necessary ( I date every verse/chapter I read each time I read it). Well if you’re like me, a journaling bible may be for you. It has wide margins allowing for you to doodle, note, and reflect to your hearts desire. Check these out from Lifeway!
- Cookbook: It is 2017, lets get better at adulting! The boy got me a new cookbook for Christmas, Lighten Up, Y’all: Classic Southern Recipes Made Healthy. Perfect for me, right!? I’m so excited to cook my way through it.
- Artifact Uprising: You know all those pictures you love so much that are trapped on your phone? Well how about you actually print those out. Artifact Uprising, prints some of the most beautiful pictures on quality paper that I just love. The square print sets are perfect for all those instagram pictures!
I don’t know if you are anything like me, but sometimes it is imtimdating being surrounded by so many girl bosses. You know, like the woman who are killing the career game, the family game, and overall life game. You see them at your job, at church, your friend circle, and all over social media. Some days I’m inspired by them and it makes me want to work harder, but some days it just reminds me of all my shortcomings, how far away I am from my goals and it just leaves me feeling jealous.
A few weeks ago I participated in a protest against the current administrations denial of
climate change, and in support of all of those fighting for #NODAPL. The environment and climate change are not topics I am well versed in, and aside from normal recycling I don’t do much to limit my personal footprint.
Hey! I’ve been preparing for this post for a while now and I am so excited to share with y’all. One of my best friends gifted me a sample pack of Sephora Beauty products and she specifically told me “it is something you can blog about!” So here it is. If you’re looking to step up your skin care game this is a great place to start. Below are 9 different products I’ve been experimenting with over the past month, see what may work for you!
UPDATE: If you’re interested in more Deva Curl products I have a full review over 5 products HERE!
I received another product in the mail by Influenster this week, and it may be the most exciting one yet. It is the newest DeVaCurl product called Buildup Buster, not yet available in stores. The website says:
“We’re the first to bring Micellar Water to haircare! Micellar Water attracts dirt like a magnet to gently remove buildup from the hair and scalp. Unlike traditional clarifying shampoos that contain harsh ingredients, this powerful cleanser won’t strip the hair. Plus, it contains abyssinian seed oil and jojoba to deliver moisture, shine and head-turning bounce.”
Hey there fabulous Lysse on Life readers!
My name is Kaitlin and I’m a 20-
something who’s been graduated and working in the “real world” for like five months now. Alysse graciously agreed to do a blog swap with me and I quite literally could not be more excited to have the chance to connect with her AND all of y’all. One of my favorite things about blogging is having the opportunity to build relationships with different people all across the world, so this definitely furthers that.
I have been wanting to write this post for quite a while, but just haven’t gotten around to writing it for my own blog. Alysse and I decided to do a blog swap, so I thought chatting with y’all would be the right place!
Living as an “adult” for the past several months has really made me value my mental health, and one of the ways I do that is through my mantra! I know the idea of a “mantra” sounds low-key lame and super cliche, but it’s literally one of the best things I could have done for myself!
I don’t know if your parents are like mine, but growing up I would get really upset or annoyed about something and my mom would always say something along the lines of, “Kaitlin, just let it go. It’s not life or death.” If your parents didn’t use that phrase, it basically means whatever you’re upset about isn’t the end of the world, so just keep on trucking.
But as I’ve gotten older, I’ve learned everything quite literally is life or death and it’s not a bad thing.
Sometimes you may be put in a bad situation, but you’re still alive and you’re going to get through it. I have read many a blog that tell readers to ask themselves if whatever the hold up is going to be important five years down the line. They’re thinking along the same line as I am.
Your boyfriend broke up with you. Are you going to care in five years? You had to ask your mom for money to pay your electricity this month. Are you going to care in five years? You and your best friend got in a fight? Are you going to care in five years?
If you’re like me, it’s very likely the answer to all of those is overwhelmingly no. We like to get all hyped up about certain situations, whatever they may be, when in the long run they’re really not going to matter.
Want to know why?
Everything is quite literally life or death.
Every time I explain it to someone they saw it as low-key morbid, but I’ll let you be the judge. No matter what bad situation you’ve gotten yourself into, you’re still alive and will keep on chugging. You’re basically the Little Engine That Could. That, and the ability to learn new things about yourself and the world, is beautiful in and of itself. Life is the great experience and everything, even struggles, give you the opportunity to learn more about yourself and get closer to becoming the person you want to be.
On the flip side, if you’re dead, you won’t know! Or you’ll get to be a ghost or in Heaven or whatever it is you believe in, so those are pretty awesome alternatives.
Thinking of life like that changed so many things for me. I used to be negative and up in arms about everything if it didn’t work out my way, but now I have the opportunity to be ecstatic about everything that happens to me because it makes me more of who I’m supposed to be.
My boyfriend broke up with me, but it helped teach me what I wanted in a man. Someone that I thought was a friend didn’t help me get away from the creepy guy at the bar, but I learned in a low-stakes environment that maybe that friend doesn’t have my best interest at heart. I ran out of gas while on the way to work, but I learned just how far I can push my car until I run out of gas.
Everything is a learning situation and learning helps you get better in the future. I know, gag me, right? I thought that at first, but looking at my life in this way, where everything, no matter good or bad, is an opportunity to learn about myself and get better for the future has honestly improved my quality of life and has led to a whole lot less stress.
Do you have a mantra?
Thanks for letting me hang out in your blog space, and feel free to follow my blog (kaitlinbain15.wordpress.com)! I write about my life, my job, my style and other stuff I just randomly run into.
My last semester of school has started and I have quickly realized that I should have prepped more posts over the break..oops. Fortunately, today I was nominated for the “One Lovely Blog Award” by Kaitlin, a fellow blogger. I thought this would be a perfect time to pop back into the blogosphere, so hello!
Also, stay tuned for a blog swap post from Kaitlin soon!
Here are the rules:
My 7 Facts:
Well my friends, thats all I got for you today! Make sure you’re following my instagram account: lysseonlife. I post regularly on there and I have started a new series titled “Coffee Courage” look for the pictures of a coffee mug to check it out!
Y’all know how much I love podcasts, but for my latest drive to visit the boy I tried something a little different: audiobooks. I used a free trial of the Amazon related platform Audible and it worked really well. The drive was approximately ~6hrs, so I got two books that together would provide more than enough entertainment and were two very different genres.
Audible is a subscription based program. The first 30 days are free, then after that it is about $15 a month where you get 1 credit a month, which usually equals one book. If you want to buy an additional book that month then members get 30% off. So, just like Blue Apron, after I used the free trial I immediately cancelled my subscription because I don’t got money like that. Although, I would consider just paying for another book on its own next time I have a long drive to make. Overall, I really enjoyed the platform I just can’t afford it monthly.
What I Got:
Have a book recommendation for me? Comment below!
Yay for an influx in Christmas cash, but what are you going to spend it on? Food, right? NO! Resist the urge and actually buy items that last! Crazy idea, huh? Here is my list of potential purchases!
Hope this gave you some ideas you hadn’t thought about yet and if you do spend it all on food, thats okay too!