Lifestyle

Blogging In a World Full of Girl Bosses

I don’t know if you are anything like me, but sometimes it is imtimdating being surrounded by so many girl bosses. You know, like the woman who are killing the career game, the family game, and overall life game. You see them at your job, at church, your friend circle, and all over social media. Some days I’m inspired by them and it makes me want to work harder, but some days it just reminds me of all my shortcomings, how far away I am from my goals and it just leaves me feeling jealous.

Maybe for you you’re comparing yourself to a woman with a killer bod and you’ve been working out and eating right for a while now, but the results just aren’t there. Maybe you’re looking at all your friends graduate and accept job offers from big name companies, and you still don’t have everything figured out yet. For me, its my blog. I’ve had it for two years and I feel like I am ready to “move to the next level.” A.K.A purchase my own domain, self-host, post content more often, and have stellar images. All of this is good and gravy, but in this day and age where everyone seems to have a blog, it can be overwhelming trying to figure out how to stand out. It is so easy to get caught up in admiring other people’s success, and trying to figure out how they got there, that you end up looking just like them. I don’t want to do something just because everyone else is, I want people to look at everything I do and think “yep, that’s definitely Alysse.” So I have to ask myself, am I doing this and pressuring myself about it because I want to, or because I everyone else is doing it? Honestly, in a world full of girl bosses, sometimes I feel like a fraud.

So now what? Do I stop thinking of fun content to write? Do I stop paying attention to the aesthetic appeal of my instagram feed? Do you stop working hard in the gym? Or whatever aspect of life it is for you?

No. I’m not going to stop putting work toward my blog, and you shouldn’t stop trying to reach your goals just because you haven’t reached them yet. If you are truly enjoying what you are doing, then don’t stop! We are all a work in progress. The quote: “comparison is the thief of joy” is incredibly true. You do you, as authentically as you can, and success will find you. And hopefully  it will be a genuine reflection of you, instead of a carbon copy of someone else.

This also relates the the theory of Shine Theory that I talk about so often here. If there are impressive women around me then instead of looking at them as competition, I should see them as an ally, as someone who makes me look good for simply being in the same community as them.

xoxo,

‘Lysse

Share on
Previous Post Next Post

Read This Next

14 Comments

• Reply Taneisha

I absolutely love this

March 19, 2017 at 5:10 pm
  • Reply Taneisha

I absolutely love this. I’m reminded of the quote “her success is not your failure.” Continue to strive for YOUR best! Love your posts!

March 19, 2017 at 5:11 pm
    • Reply Alysse

Thank you so much, Taneisha! That is such a good applicable quote, thanks for sharing!

March 19, 2017 at 5:21 pm
  • Reply Tress

Yes, yes, YES. I love Shine Theory– and also Call Your Girlfriend. 😉 Keep doing you and writing great content.

March 20, 2017 at 7:03 pm
    • Reply Alysse

Thanks so much, Tress! And yes, Call my Girlfriend is an all time fav

March 20, 2017 at 8:31 pm
  • Reply Community Over Competition

[…] community over competition.” Such a simple and beautiful thing, huh? After I wrote the post In A World Full of Girl Bosses, I have been thinking a lot about the blogging/creative industry. For one, it has definitely fired […]

April 6, 2017 at 5:48 pm
  • Reply diybutterflyblog

I can truly relate to your feelings stated in this post. I just recently launched my own blog and most days it’s hard not to compare myself to other bloggers. Am I doing this right or wrong? Should I be working harder? Do people actually care about what I have to say? You get into your own head too much that you get in your own way. But I think if we look at each other as allies vs competition we’ll all be better off and succeed in our own way. Each person’s definition of success is different and for good reason. So I say just keep doing you and it will all be worth it. You’re clearly a great writer and should keep doing what you love!

April 17, 2017 at 9:27 pm
  • Reply coffee with Addison

Wise words I once heard were to not compare your beginning to someone else’s middle. This blogging thing is so much more involved than I could have ever imagined, and yet I enjoy writing. I think being a “boss” comes down to doing what you want and not apologizing for it.

April 20, 2017 at 11:20 am
    • Reply Alysse

Yes!! I love your last sentence “doing what you want and not apologizing for it” Thats so right.

April 20, 2017 at 11:35 am
  • Reply sunshineandholly

I’m the worst about comparing myself to other women. Especially when it comes to body image. UG. And when it comes to my blog, I know I’m not the best – not even close. Sometimes I get overwhelmed trying to “keep up” or do things as good as everyone else. But then I remember the reason I started my blog – I started it for me. A creative outlet for ME. So I just do my best and try not to compare – but it’s hard when there are so many amazing blogs out there!

April 20, 2017 at 11:25 am
    • Reply Alysse

So true! And you’re right, when you refocus on why you started in the first place it can really help.

April 20, 2017 at 11:37 am
  • Reply grandma2glamma

It is hard. One thing I tell my self is: the only way to succeed is not to worry about what everyone else is doing.

April 20, 2017 at 11:50 am
  • Reply whimsyhoney

I love this post, and I love your writing style! PREACH.

April 20, 2017 at 5:58 pm
  • Reply addisonmesser

I love the idea of ally instead of competition. We are all fierce women with something to bring to the table.

May 5, 2017 at 9:33 pm